History of Morehampton Townhouse
Welcome to Morehampton TownhouseThe Townhouse is a heritage property and is designated by Dublin City Council as a protected structure.
Most of the Townhouse is original and as it was in 1865 - The railings outside / the front door / the stairs & bannisters / the floors / the windows and shutters are all of the period.
In 1865* The Rev. Thomas Stack was the first occupant of Morehampton Townhouse. The Rev Stack was registrar of Trinity College Dublin.
- The American Civil War ends with the surrender of the Confederate States.
- July 4 1865 the 1st edition of "Alice in Wonderland" is published.
- Queen Victoria is Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- Abraham Lincoln is inaugurated for his 2nd term as US president.
In 1875 Ms. Harriett Abbott purchased 78 Morehampton Road and Morehampton Townhouse was a select boarding school from 1875 until 1923.
Limited modern alterations have taken place in keeping with the building and modern living. Structural changes such as the installation of evaluator is not allowed due to the impact on the building. To keep the property maintained and in good condition we have an ongoing maintenance program to keep the building in the condition recommended by our city council.